Thursday, June 14, 2012

Feeling Extra Domestic!

Last night I decided I was feeling a lil more extra domestic so I experimented with a new recipe for dinner as well as make ahead mini breakfast muffins to pop in the toaster oven on the way to work! It's not very often I cook anymore since Josh is usually home before me (I help though!) but last night I decided to give him a break and make something yummy! :)

Penna Rose with Shrimp

What you Need:
  • 12 ounces whole wheat penne
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
  • 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 medium tomatoes (about 1/2 lb.) chopped
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 4 cups fresh spinach
  • 10 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (or your choice of meat)
  • 1/2 cup marinara sauce
  • 1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
What you do:
  1. Cook penne according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 2 minutes or until garlic begins to soften.
  3. Add in mushrooms, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to release their water.
  4. Turn heat up to medium-high and add in shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and opaque. Remove from heat, add in spinach and cover skillet. Let spinach wilt for 2 minutes.
  5. Remove lid and place skillet back over low heat. Add the penne, Greek yogurt and pasta sauce. Stir until sauce is mixed well and all pasta and veggies are coated. Heat until just warmed through. Divide into pasta bowls and serve topped with parmesan cheese.

Since I don't eat seafood used chicken with red pepper, feta cheese, and garlic sausage. It was just as delicious as I assume the shrimp would be! Super easy to make too! Using the Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream make this recipe slightly healthier but tastes just as good! After we finished dinner I made these tasty breakfast morsels which would be perfect to make ahead and just pop them in the microwave or toaster oven on the way to work!


Breakfast Muffins

What you need:

1 package of Biscuits (10 biscuits)
5 slices of bacon (cooked and cut into pieces)
4 eggs scrambled
shredded cheese
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. water
Pepper to taste


What you do:

1.  Preheat oven to 375F.
2.  Using a rolling pin or your hands flatten each biscuit.
3.  Top each biscuit with a spoonful of egg, a spoonful of bacon and a sprinkle of cheese.
4.  Pull up on each corner to form into a ball, pressing together at the seam.
5.  Place in greased muffin tins.
6.  Lightly whisk water into egg yolk and brush over each muffin.
7.  Top with pepper to taste.
8.  Bake for 13-15 minutes.
9.  Let cool on baking rack and serve warm.


You could easily use your favorite breakfast stuffings (bacon, ham, sausage). These were very easy to make and tasted just as good this morning. I will definately be making these again!

Xoxo,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment