Thursday, July 12, 2012

Busy busy busy!

I've been really bad at updating this lately. Things have been super busy the last few weeks! Well actually since I've left Tuscany Square, I've had alot more free time it seems so I've been taking advantage of no weekends for a change and hanging out with my family and friends! It's been so hot here this summer already, so most of it has spent at the pool when I can!

4th of July Fireworks on Lake Lewisville


Thank you to the Rumsey Family for letting us join your 4th of July celebration, we had a blast with everyone!



Since I've been lacking on my blog post I've got a few "Recipes of the Week" I haven't posted, so here it goes!

Pinned Image
Crockpot Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

What you need:

1 pound Kraft Velveeta Light Reduced-Fat Pasteurized Processed Cheese Product
12 1/2 oz canned chicken, drained & flaked
10 3/4 oz Campbell's 98% Fat-Free Cream Of Chicken Soup, undiluted
10 3/4 oz Campbell's 98% Fat-Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup, undiluted
10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilies, Rotel
4 oz canned mushrooms, stems and pieces, drained
1/2 cup water
1 small onion, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
14 1/2 oz cooked whole-wheat spaghetti

What you do:

Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and stir to mix well.
Cook on LOW for 2-3 hours. Stir again just before serving.

*This recipe was more complicated than just a quick easy crock pot recipe and not much easier than baked chicken spaghetti. It was, however, easy enough to make with a 5 month old! We were watching our niece when I made this and since we're not used to babies around I was a lil nervous about being so domestic in the kitchen with her. This is one of my favorite dishes, but I have to admit I like my mom's recipe better!


"Better than Potatoes" Cheesy Cauliflower Puree

What you Need:
 
1 head of cauliflower
2 Tbl heavy cream
1 Tbl butter
2 ounces dubliner or other sharp cheese
salt and pepper to taste

What you do:

Clean and trim the cauliflower, breaking it into medium sized pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbl of cream and 1 Tbl of butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for five minutes. Stir to coat cauliflower with cream/butter mixture. Microwave for another 4 minutes on high. Remove from the microwave and put into a high speed blender or food processor along with the cheese. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can adjust the cream and butter to your preference. 

*Very low carb option for dinner and super yummy! Next time I just need to master the "puree" texture instead of "lumpy cauliflower in a blender". I will try to attempt these again while I'm trying to stick with a low carb diet!


Pinned Image
Orzo Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Roasted Peppers, Black Olives, and Feta Cheese

What you Need:
Dressing


6
large
basil leaves
3
cloves
garlic, chopped
1/2
cup
extra virgin olive oil
2
tablespoons
freshly squeezed lemon juice
1
tablespoon
lemon zest
1
teaspoon
freshly ground black pepper
1/2
teaspoon
salt

Salad



6
cups
cooked, hot orzo
1
cup
sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2
cup
chopped roasted peppers**
1/2
cup
sliced Kalamata olives
8
ounces
sheep feta, cut in ½-inch cubes
1
cup
Italian parsley
What you do:

Dressing
1. Place the basil, garlic, olive oil lemon juice and zest, pepper, and salt in a blender and puree creating an emulsion. Set aside.
Salad
1. Place the hot, cooked pasta in a spacious, heat-resistant bowl, pour the dressing over it, and mix well. Cool to room temperature. The pasta will absorb the dressing and all its flavor.
2. Place the sun-dried tomatoes, peppers, olives, feta cheese, and parsley in the bowl and mix well.
3. Cover and let sit for several hours, or refrigerate overnight to develop the flavors.
4. Restore to room temperature and adjust seasonings before serving.

*This is a GREAT side dish to take to your summer gathering! SUPER easy but makes a ton! If you aren't serving very many people I would cut the amount in half! I would also double the amount of dressing, it was pretty dry once the pasta soaks it up! Otherwise, this was one of my favorites!


Ok, time to go pack! Tomorrow is moving day!!! Stay tuned for updates about our new home in Midlothian!! I can't wait!!

Xoxo,
K & J














No comments:

Post a Comment